Healthcare Social Workers Career
体育彩票365官方下载provide individuals, families, and groups with the psychosocial support needed to cope with chronic, acute, or terminal illnesses. services include advising family care givers, providing patient education and counseling, and making referrals for other services. may also provide care and case management or interventions designed to promote health, prevent disease, and address barriers to access to healthcare.
What Job Titles Healthcare Social Workers Might Have
- Clinical Social Worker
- Dialysis Social Worker
- Medical Social Worker
- Social Worker
What Healthcare Social Workers Do
- Collaborate with other professionals to evaluate patients' medical or physical condition and to assess client needs.
- Advocate for clients or patients to resolve crises.
- Refer patient, client, or family to community resources to assist in recovery from mental or physical illness and to provide access to services such as financial assistance, legal aid, housing, job placement or education.
- Investigate child abuse or neglect cases and take authorized protective action when necessary.
- Counsel clients and patients in individual and group sessions to help them overcome dependencies, recover from illness, and adjust to life.
- Plan discharge from care facility to home or other care facility.
- Monitor, evaluate, and record client progress according to measurable goals described in treatment and care plan.
- Modify treatment plans to comply with changes in clients' status.
- Identify environmental impediments to client or patient progress through interviews and review of patient records.
- Organize support groups or counsel family members to assist them in understanding, dealing with, and supporting the client or patient.
- Utilize consultation data and social work experience to plan and coordinate client or patient care and rehabilitation, following through to ensure service efficacy.
- Plan and conduct programs to combat social problems, prevent substance abuse, or improve community health and counseling services.
- Supervise and direct other workers providing services to clients or patients.
- Oversee Medicaid- and Medicare-related paperwork and recordkeeping in hospitals.
- Develop or advise on social policy and assist in community development.
- Conduct social research to advance knowledge in the social work field.
What Healthcare Social Workers Should Be Good At
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Inductive Reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
- Speech Recognition - The ability to identify and understand the speech of another person.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Fluency of Ideas - The ability to come up with a number of ideas about a topic (the number of ideas is important, not their quality, correctness, or creativity).
What Healthcare Social Workers Should Be Interested In
- Social - Social occupations frequently involve working with, communicating with, and teaching people. These occupations often involve helping or providing service to others.
What Healthcare Social Workers Need to Learn
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Philosophy and Theology - Knowledge of different philosophical systems and religions. This includes their basic principles, values, ethics, ways of thinking, customs, practices, and their impact on human culture.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
this page includes information from by the u.s. department of labor, employment and training administration (usdol/eta). used under the license.